Physiotherapist – Practitioner in Hand Therapy
Bhavana is a physiotherapist with experience in hand and upper limb rehabilitation, having worked in UK and here in Australia. She is currently employed as an Advanced Physiotherapist in Hand Therapy at the Sunshine Coast University Hospital.
She has contributed as a director of the British Hand Therapy Association Executive Committee and the Australian Hand Therapy Association Education Committee. Bhavana is interested in clinical research in hand therapy, having worked as a research coordinator at the Brisbane Hand and Upper Limb Research Institute. She has several publications in peer reviewed journals.
Her main areas of interest are managing conditions & injuries that affect the forearm, wrist and hand. She is also trained to manage patients following burn injuries and plastic and reconstructive surgeries (e.g. skin grafts and flaps, breast reconstruction surgeries, scar management following surgeries/burn injuries).
Qualifications / Registrations / Associations
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (APHRA). 2015 – current.
- Accredited Hand Therapist (as awarded by the Australian Hand Therapy Association). 2013 – current.
- Queensland Hand Surgery Society, Associate Member. 2014 – current.
- Accredited Hand Therapist (UK) as awarded by British Association of Hand Therapists, UK. 2013 – 2018.
- Bachelor of Science (Physiotherapy), India, 1998.
Teaching and Research
- Peters SE, Jha B, Ross M. Rehabilitation following surgery for flexor tendon injuries of the hand (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2017. DOI 10.1002/14651858.CD012479
- Jha B, Ross M, Reeves S, Couzens GB, Peters SE. Measuring thumb range of motion in first carpometacarpal joint arthritis: the inter-rater reliability of the Kapandji Index versus goniometry. Hand Therapy 2015. DOI 10.1177/1758998315616399
- Peters SE, Jha B, Couzens GB, Walsh W, Lisle D, Ross M. The effectiveness of the Push BraceTM orthosis and corticosteroid injection for managing first carpometacarpal joint osteoarthritis: a factorial randomised controlled trial protocol. Hand Therapy 2015. DOI 10.1177/1758998315584835
- Smith TO, Hazelden S, Parker L, Jha B, Youatt M, Haywood R. The use of CobanTM compression bandage following below knee free flap surgery. International Journal of Nursing Practice 2012. DOI 10.1111/ijn.12004
- Jha B, Peters S. Rehabilitation following flexor tendon injuries of the hand: a systematic review. AHTA Annual Conference 2018
- Jha B, Hanna J. Review of Rehabilitation Strategies and Outcomes Following Digital Replantation. AHTA Annual Conference 2016
- Jha B, Peter SE, Couzens GB, Ross M. Outcome measures used to report surgical efficacy following scapholunate surgery: a systematic literature review. QHSS Annual Conference, 2015
- Jha B, Peters S, Rankin C, Gilpin B, Reeves S, Ross M. ‘Is Goniometric Measurement a Reliable Way to Assess Thumb Mobility for Patients with Osteoarthritis?’ QHSS Annual Conference, 2014
- Jha B, Peters S, Rankin C, Gilpin B, Reeves S, Ross M. ‘Is Goniometric Measurement a Reliable Way to Assess Thumb Mobility for Patients with Osteoarthritis?’ AHTA Annual Conference 2014
- Franks T, Jha B. ‘Literature review of outcomes following secondary flexor tenolysis surgery for zone II flexor tendon primary repairs.’ AHTA Conference 2019
- Anderson K, Jha B, Stafford K, Lombard H, Latendresse K, Strydom D. ‘An innovative evidence-based model of care to manage hand injuries presenting in the emergency department, including development of care pathway for a selected cohort of stable acute injuries.’ AHTA Conference 2018
- Gospel G, Jha B, Hetherington J, Alkins O. ‘Non-surgical Management of a Dupuytren’s Disease Finger Contracture using a compression Orthoses: A Case Study Presentation Evaluating Hand Therapy Management & Outcomes.’ AHTA Conference 2018
- Sayle E, Whittle K, Jha B. ‘Gymnasts Wrist: A Literature Review investigating risk factors and management strategies.’ AHTA Conference 2017
- Jha B, Shokar CJK, Hanna J. ‘Hemi-hamate graft for PIPJ Arthroplasty: A literature review to investigate post-operative rehabilitation and clinical outcomes following surgery’. AHTA Conference 2016
- Jha B, Peters S, Allen L, Ross M. ‘History of the Scapho-lunate Ligament Complex Reconstruction’. AHTA Annual Conference 2014
- Peter S, Jha B, Walsh W, Rankin C, Couzens G, Ross M. ‘Conservative management of 1st CMC joint osteoarthritis: a study protocol for a randomised controlled trial.’ AHTA Annual Conference 2014
- Jha B, Peters S, Rankin C. ‘Sensibility Assessment Following a Peripheral Nerve Injury and Repair in The Upper Extremity: A Literature Review.’ AHTA Annual Conference 2014
- Rankin C, Jha B, Walsh W, Ross M. ‘Surgery and rehabilitation following revision open carpal tunnel release with hypothenar fat pad flap.’ AHTA Annual Conference 2014
- Rankin C, Holding J, Walsh W, Peters SE, Jha B, Couzens G, Ross M. ‘Rehabilitation Following Scapho-Luno-Triquetral Tenodesis (SLT).’ AHTA Annual Conference 2014
- Peters S, Jha B, Ross M, ‘Persistent DRUJ instability following distal radius fractures due to radial translation malunion: a case study presentation’. AHTA Annual Conference, 2013
- Jha B, Hazelden S, ‘Management of an extensor tendon graft reconstruction using the short arc motion regime: a case study presentation evaluating hand therapy management and outcomes.’ AHTA Annual Conference, 2013
- Hazelden S, Jha B, ‘Post-operative management of extensor tendon repairs in zone III and distal zone IV: an evaluation of therapy outcomes.’ BAHT Annual Conference, 2012
- ‘Introduction to Hand Therapy.’ Queensland Health Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy Network. Presented 2-day course, 2018
- ‘Soft tissue covers for the hand and fingers.’ QLD AHTA Special Interest Group, 2017
- ‘Assessment and management of wrist and hand conditions.’ Presented course, India 2017
- ‘Mobilisation of the nervous system: theoretical concepts.’ QLD AHTA Special Interest Group, 2016
- ‘Mallet Injuries Pathway Direct Referral from A&E & Hand Therapy Management.’ East Anglia Surgeons and Therapist Annual Meeting, UK 2012
- ‘Zone III Extensor Tendon Rehabilitation in Complex Hand Trauma’. East Anglia Surgeons and Therapist Annual Meeting, UK 2011
- ‘Sensibility Testing as part of Upper Limb Assessment.’ Chartered Society of Physiotherapy Norfolk Study Day, UK 2011
- ‘Management of Tendon Injuries.’ East Anglia Tendons Study Day, UK 2009
- ‘Dupuytren’s Disease & Scar Management.’ University of East Anglia, UK 2008
- ‘Management of Chronic Nerve Injuries.’ East Anglia Nerve Injuries Study Day, UK 2007
Occupational Therapist – Practitioner in Hand Therapy
Sheralyn is an occupational therapist with experience in hand and upper limb rehabilitation. She graduated from the University of Queensland in 2011 and has since worked exclusively in private hand therapy practices in Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast.
Sheralyn enjoys treating all conditions and injuries to the elbow, forearm, wrist and hand and particularly enjoys splinting and wound care.
Qualifications / Registrations / Associations
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
- Accredited Hand Therapist (as awarded by the Australian Hand Therapy Association). 2018 – current.
- Queensland Hand Surgery Society, Associate Member.
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (BOccThy), University of Queensland, 2011.